April 25

7 Signs of Mold Growth in Your Home

By changescape

April 25, 2022


Mold can be growing inside your home without you even realizing it. If it continues to grow untreated, it can cause allergic reactions and worse for those living inside the house. Mold can also damage your home’s structure. This article is to provide you with some signs to look out for that indicate mold growth.

Look for these Mold Indicators

You don’t always see mold. It can be hiding behind drywall or wallpaper, or inside ceilings or attics. Here are a few subtle (and not-so-subtle) signs that your house could be harboring harmful mold.

1. Visible Mold

This is a no-brainer; if you see mold spores creeping up your walls or in corners, you know it’s there. What you DON’T see is how widespread it’s growing. Visible mold on the surface usually means it’s also growing behind or underneath and that you have a big problem. It indicates that you need professional remediation to get rid of the mold and the moisture that is causing it to grow.

2. Musty Smells

Just because you can’t actually see the mold doesn’t mean it’s not there. If you notice an unusual odor, as you’d smell in a damp basement, it’s probably coming from mold growing nearby. The smells could also be transmitted through your HVAC system, so they will be magnified when the furnace or air conditioner kicks on.

3. Past Water Problems

Does your home have a history of flooding? Has your plumbing system had leaks or burst pipes? Did your toilet or sink recently overflow? All these incidents involve excess water that may not have been completely and quickly dried up. Mold needs moisture to grow. If there is moisture present anywhere in your home, mold can begin to grow within 48 hours.

4. Illness

There are physical effects of mold exposure that can make you sick. Individuals with weakened immune systems or chronic conditions are especially at risk. Of course, these same symptoms could be the result of another condition, so consulting with your physician is always recommended. Some of the symptoms could include:

  • Lingering colds. If you have cold or flu-like symptoms that linger for longer than normally expected, it may actually be a result of mold growth. Breathing the spores released by mold irritates the respiratory system, causing sinus congestion, sneezing, frequent bloody noses, and other symptoms attributed to colds and flu. 

  • Frequent headaches. Recurring headaches are another symptom of mold exposure. They will get worse and more frequent the longer you’re in a mold-infested environment. 

  • Respiratory problems. You could develop breathing problems because of the spores inhaled while in the moldy house. If you already have respiratory illnesses like asthma or COPD, your condition will worsen with mold exposure.

One way to test whether your illness is caused by your house is to leave for a few days. If your symptoms abate while you’re gone, then resume when you return home, mold may be the culprit. It’s time to call in the experts to check for mold and get rid of it.

5. Darkened Grout

If the grout in tiled walls is dark and discolored, that’s probably mold. Areas where there’s a lot of moisture, like bathrooms and kitchens, are more prone to mold growth. This type of mold is relatively harmless; however, it could be a warning sign that there is excess moisture present in the room. You should probably have a professional test it for more toxic mold just to be on the safe side. 

6. Peeling Wallpaper or Drywall

If you notice bubbles or cracks in your wallpaper or painted walls, or you can see or feel damp spots on the surface, it’s possible that moisture is behind. Where there is unattended moisture, mold will soon follow.

7. Itchy Skin

Mold spores can attach themselves to clothing, furnishings, and linens. When your skin comes in contact with these infested items, you can have an allergic reaction with irritation to your skin. To prevent this, always dry wet clothing as soon as possible and avoid allowing damp towels to accumulate in the bathroom.

Get Professional Help to Get Rid of Mold

If you have visible mold, you can try cleaning it yourself. However, unless you can identify the type of mold it is, you won’t know the risks involved with contact. You might be exposing yourself to toxic mold that can seep into your lungs or irritate your skin.

It’s better to call in the professionals at St. Louis Cleaning and Restoration. We can test for mold using our sophisticated tools to pinpoint exactly where it is growing. We’ll then proceed with remediation process, ridding your home of all traces of mold. 

Since moisture is a breeding ground for mold, we will advise you on areas that need to be cleaned up so that you won’t experience regrowth. We are also experts on water cleanup and restoration, so you can be confident that we will cover every base to rid your home of mold.

Contact us today for a free consultation.

Schedule an Estimate or Call Now