Does the existence of toxic mold in your home make you shudder? It probably should, since its presence can be the cause of several health issues for those living in the building where it is found.
But how can you tell if you have mold in your home? Sometimes mold can be present without even being able to see it. Here are some signs that you may have mold in your home.
If you notice a musty or mildew-like smell emanating from anywhere in your home, there may be mold hiding behind or within that area. Even though you can’t see mold, if there is a consistent musty odor, you need to check further. If you notice the smell worsening when the air conditioning or furnace is running, there could be a mold problem within your HVAC system.
Leaking water pipes, toilets and ceilings can all be the cause of mold growing because of the excess moisture. Sometimes you don’t even know you have a water leak if it’s behind drywall or another surface.
If your home has ever flooded, the likelihood of you having mold is very high. This is true especially in areas most affected by the flooding and where standing water accumulated, like in the basement.
Signs of Water Issues
Overflowing toilets, sewer backups or other water issues can put your home at risk for mold growth. If the water has seeped into carpets, drywall or cracks, mold may be growing in and on those surfaces. If you notice discoloration or stains on ceilings, floors, walls or the like, there is also a probability that mold is growing behind it.
Humidity and Condensation
Excess moisture in your home can form condensation on windows, water pipes and other objects. If this exists, it could be a breeding ground for mold. If you notice your pipes are rusty, that’s an indicator that excess moisture exists and thus, mold can form.
Numerous health issues can arise if mold is present in your home. Some symptoms can be allergies that produce running noses, watery eyes, headaches, sneezing, coughing and sore throats. Mold can also cause more serious neurological symptoms like trouble concentrating, shortened attention span, memory loss and dizziness. If these symptoms occur primarily when you are home, that is a sure sign that mold is present.
You may believe that visibly seeing mold is a no-brainer, but some people may not notice small amounts of it or think it’s dirt or soot. You may not even recognize mold for what it is. Mold can appear as white and thread, or as clusters of black spots. It can be black, grayish-brown or green. If it’s growing behind colored wallpaper, it may appear as colorful orange, pink or purple.
How to Remove Mold
It’s difficult and dangerous to remove mold in your home by yourself. It’s highly toxic, and if you do not wear the proper protective clothing, use the appropriate tools, equipment and materials, you may end up spreading it instead of eliminating it.
It’s always best to consult with a professional mold remediation company, like St. Louis Cleaning and Restoration. We have been in the business for over 20 years, serving the St. Louis area. Our experience and knowledge in mold remediation and removal will provide you with the most thorough cleanup possible.
We use special equipment like moisture meters and fiber optics that allow us to find hot spots where mold is most likely growing and look into hidden areas such as behind walls. This way we can find any and all hidden mold while barely disturbing your home.
St. Louis Cleaning and Restoration is certified under the IICRC for Odor Control, Fire and Smoke Restoration, Journeyman Textile Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning, Commercial Carpet Maintenance, Water Damage Restoration, Mold Remediation, Leather Cleaning, Odor Control, Carpet Repair and Re-installation, and Applied Structural Drying.
If you suspect mold is growing in your home and making you and your family ill, call St. Louis Cleaning and Restoration today for a free consultation.