Losing a home to fire damage can be devastating. Your house is your biggest investment full of important items and memories. All does not have to be lost if you take immediate action after the fire is extinguished. Your home can be habitable again.
Once the fire marshal has permitted you to return to your home, it is time to make some important phone calls. You may still be in shock at what you see: smoke damage, water damage, everything black and covered in soot. Being overwhelmed is normal, but you don’t have to carry the weight alone. Getting a fire damage restoration professional involved immediately will help put things in perspective.
Your home must be inspected before knowing what needs to be repaired and replaced. After a thorough assessment of the smoke, fire, and water damage to not only the items in your home but to the structure itself, you can begin making your home fit to live in again.
An experienced fire restoration company will know how to work with your insurance company to get the process started. You can relax knowing you and your soon-to-be livable home are in good hands with the right fire damage professional like St. Louis Cleaning & Restoration.
Immediate Action Is Required to Remediate Fire Damage
Once the fire has been put out, the first step is to call your insurance company. The second step is to contact a reputable fire damage restoration company. Beginning the process of cleaning and restoring your home is crucial. If action is not taken quickly, permanent damage will remain. Some repercussions that occur following a fire are:
- Smoke damage can permeate porous surfaces on furniture, carpeting, and drapes.
- Water used to extinguish the fire can remain, if not removed promptly. Waiting too long to call a professional can cause mold to grow rapidly.
- Soot and ash damage can be harmful to your health.
- Your home must be boarded up once the fire marshal clears the area. This protects your property from the weather and vandals. It also provides structural stabilization.
- Your roof may need to be tarped to prevent further damage.
Fire Damage Restoration
The goal of a fire damage restoration professional is to restore your home and salvage personal belongings that have sustained smoke or fire damage. Advanced equipment and cleaning products are used to remove soot or smoke damage as well as odors from various surfaces.
Badly burned walls, ceilings, and floor coverings are removed. The home’s entire structure is inspected for any charring or warping of materials. Some are replaced while others, if salvageable, are treated with deodorizers to remove smoke odor.
If the odor is not removed before installing new drywall, it will continue to leak throughout the home. This could lead to health problems later on if not taken care of quickly.
When you call a professional like St. Louis Cleaning & Restoration to handle the fire and smoke damage in your home, they will take the following steps.
- Assessment. Your entire home will be inspected for fire damage.
- Minimize Damage. It’s important to stabilize your home and lessen the damage by dealing with any water damage from extinguishing the fire.
- Cleanup. Removing the soot and ash from your home is important. We will also remove smoke odors.
- Restoration. Repairs are completed. The goal is to restore your home to its pre-fire condition or better.
What to Do After a Fire?
- Get permission from the Fire Marshal before you re-enter your home.
- Obtain a copy of the fire report issued by the fire department. This is important for insurance companies.
- Contact your insurance company to begin the claims process.
- Call utility providers and inform them of the fire.
- Contact a fire damage restoration specialist. They can assess the damage and board up your home.
- Document fire damage with video, photos, and notes.
- If you need to relocate temporarily, notify the post office to hold your mail.
- Replace important documents if they were damaged in the fire.
- Contact your local Red Cross if you need assistance with temporary housing and other supplies.
- Leave the cleaning to a fire damage restoration professional. They have the right safety equipment to do the job.
Trust the Professionals
If your home has been heavily damaged in a fire, call St. Louis Cleaning and Restoration immediately to help limit the damage and salvage your home. Our experienced team can handle any job to give you the best results. We offer emergency service so you can get your life and home back quickly.