Business owners and employees alike are concerned about how any virus may spread through the workplace. Keeping your workplace clean can prevent the spread of communicable diseases and keep everyone healthy and safe.
According to the Centers For Disease Control (CDC), serious respiratory illnesses are generally spread through coughing or sneezing, touching objects with contaminated hands, and touching your face after touching contaminated objects.
The Importance of Maintaining a Clean Workspace
To ensure there is no major damage done to the bottom line of your company, a clean workplace means employees can be more confident that they are working in a safe environment. A clean building decreases the chance of the spread of sickness and possibly having to close your business.
1. Less Absenteeism. Ensuring the cleanliness of your workplace contributes to the health of employees, resulting in fewer sick days used. Companies and governments are negatively affected by absenteeism due to sick employees.
2. Improves Productivity. When people go to work sick, their performance suffers, and it increases the risk of spreading disease. A clutter-free and sanitized office decreases distractions, resulting in increased productivity and even higher quality work.
3. Increases Employee Morale. A clean work environment boosts employee morale. Your staff will feel more appreciated when they can see the effort that is put in to ensure cleanliness and order in the office. When employees have high morale and satisfaction in the workplace, it follows that they are happier with their jobs.
4. Motivates Customers. Clean retail establishments appear more dignified and respectable which will help to influence the mindset of customers. Cleanliness will inspire them to spend more time in your store shopping and spending money.
5. Maintains Equipment and Furnishings
Keeping your workplace clean ensures the longevity of your equipment and furnishings. Investing in professional cleaning services is effective for a continuous cleaning process. Bacteria can be detected on surfaces that are touched often such as:
- Doorknobs and handles
- Office phones and headsets
- Water fountains
- Computer keyboards
- Vending machine buttons
- Break room sink faucet handles
- Microwave door handles
- Refrigerator door handles
A clean workspace also safeguards the health and well-being of your workforce, assets, and the environment.
What You Can Do to Achieve a Clean Workplace
Some facilities have a designated janitorial team to handle the day to day cleaning and sanitizing for their building. For those business owners that don’t, hiring a professional cleaning company to continuously sanitize the office is recommended, along with routine practices.
By taking simple steps to avoid close contact, practice good hygiene, and communicate effectively, employees can continue to be productive in the workplace. Some good practices to introduce and encourage everyone to start doing include:
- Routine Hand Washing
This is one of the most effective ways of limiting the spread of bacteria. Encourage your employees to get into the habit of properly washing their hands, especially before eating and after using the restroom.
Facility managers and owners need to reinforce good hygiene practices with bold signage and communications. Make sure your office is well-stocked with soap and hand sanitizer that are contained in hands-free dispensers. All lobbies, conference rooms, lounges, and service counters should have hand sanitizer. Display friendly reminders around the building to encourage proper hygiene.
- Allow Remote Working for Sick Employees
If it is possible, remote work is a win-win situation for you and your employees that are not feeling well. You can keep the rest of your workforce protected from illness while the ill employee can still be productive and hand in necessary work. That virtual collaboration is invaluable in today’s health crisis.
Many jobs can now be accomplished successfully from a remote location. This is because of the technology available to virtually connect a company no matter the size. Remote working allows workers to stay productive during a health crisis.
- Create A Routine Cleaning Schedule
Whether combating spikes of the flu or a coronavirus outbreak, companies should prioritize workplace wellness by investing in professional cleaning services. Technicians are certified and efficient in cleaning and sanitizing an entire building.
Take Sanitizing One Step Further
Having a healthy work environment all year long is essential to the success of your business. Besides routine cleaning, getting your workplace thoroughly and professionally sanitized can go a long way in keeping it germ-free. Hiring a company like St. Louis Cleaning and Restoration can help you take action to put your employees' safety first.
Once a month, bi-weekly, or quarterly sanitizing services can keep employees happy and productive. Contact us today to learn how we can assist with maintaining a safe and clean workplace for you and your employees.